Hey, SE Readers. Joan with you today with another Five for Friday. Today’s topic is about… What else? Writing!
Do you have certain things that are necessary for your writing sessions? Those items or setting that you must have to be productive? I’m going to share five things I find essential.
- A desk or writing space. It goes without saying writers need a designated workspace. I have my own desk, computer, and office chair. This is my little nook, and my husband doesn’t use it. He also has a desk and computer. (Yes, we have two computers in one room.) However, I also have a laptop, and I do much of my writing sitting on the reclining sofa. It’s nice to prop my feet up after a long day at work.
- Writing software. I prefer Scrivener for writing, but I like to edit in Word. I also use Word for short pieces, such as this blog post. Some writers use Apple Pages, Google Docs, or even an old-fashioned typewriter or pen and paper.
- Internet connection. Yes, I want an internet connection available during my writing sessions. There are times when I need to conduct a quick search or verify something I’ve already researched. I often use an online thesaurus or dictionary. In case I’m tempted to engage in social media, I have an internet blocking software to block those sites or other places where I’m easily distracted.
- Writing reference books. I like to have these available for quick references, especially The Emotion Thesaurus by Angela Ackerman and Becca Puglisi. I prefer electronic versions of my reference books. I load them into the Kindle app on my PC so that I can quickly switch screens between Kindle and Scrivener.
- A quiet place. I don’t like noise when I write. While music often inspires and motivates me, I turn it off when it comes time for the actual writing. And the last thing I want is a noisy television! I have taken my laptop to coffee shops to write. I can tune out if necessary, but often those times are usually reserved for brainstorming or people watching. (Nice place to come up with character ideas.)
What are some things you require for writing? Please share in the comments.